Though lawn mushrooms are mainly harmless, they can be unsightly and some types can even sicken people and pets. Why do they suddenly appear on your lawn, and how can you safely get rid of them? Also, how do Arrow and Shelterlogic sheds help keep your yard mushroom-free? Check out our simple guide below to obtain a beautiful lawn sans fungi.
Why Are There Lawn Mushrooms in My Backyard?
Mushrooms appear when there is a high amount of organic material in the soil. Since fungi break down materials to make the soil fit for plants, they play a vital role in the world's ecosystem. If mushrooms appear in your lawn, there is likely to be significant organic material that needs to decompose. For instance, if you cut down a tree but leave a stump in the ground, mushrooms are likely to grow on the stump for years to break down the wood into soil.
Are Lawn Mushrooms Dangerous?
While most lawn mushrooms are harmless, some varieties are poisonous or hallucinogenic. Typically, mushrooms with white gills are poisonous while red-capped species can cause someone to hallucinate. Other mushrooms may look like tasty treats but can cause stomach aches when consumed. It takes a lot of experience to identify mushrooms for foraging, so never eat a mushroom that you see in the wild — even if it’s in your backyard.
Every homeowner with small children or pets should remove all mushrooms on sight. Mushroom poisoning can happen to dogs and kids when they accidentally nibble or play with backyard fungus. Though a mushroom may not be poisonous per se, it can still make your loved ones suffer from a s